Established in 1953 as a small airfield for gliders and located 10 kilometers southeast of Frankfurt International, today Egelsbach has grown to a very busy general aviation airport. After the beginnings in the 1950’s, the glider operations ended some years later and in 1966 a 900-meter asphalt runway (09/27) was construced. Movement figures increased in the 1970’s and in 2004 the runway was extended to 1400m, now allowing larger airplanes to land.
A ramp tour on afternoon 02 April 2014 showed us some general aviation activities, business jets and historical aircraft.
Many thanks to Stefan who made the tour possible! Photos copyright by Ralf Drews.
Cessna developed the 208A in the early 1980’s for cargo feederlines, but this versatile aircraft is also in use for short-haul passenger operations and military duties.
The Model 208B Super Cargomaster is powered by a single Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-114A turboprop engine. Depending on its configuration, it can carry up to 14 passengers or 1900 kg of freight.
Right: D-EGCB is only one member of a very succesful family of single-engined light aircraft, which began in summer 1945 with Cessna’s Model 120. Build in 1973 with Reims Aviation, this Model F150 is owned by Frankfurter Verein für Luftfahrt.
Between 1967 and 1968 Reims Aviation produced some 800 examples of the 172H which incorprated some improvements as electric operated flaps. D-EFTD (s/n 0611) made its first flight in 1968 and is private owned (below).
Left: also private owned Reims Cessna F182Q Skylane II D-EEHP (cn 18200165, mfd 1980) seen parked, while some other single-engined aircraft were active that afternoon.
Below: the crew of D-ETJA moves its Piper Archer II to the line-up RWY09 (below). This PA-28A is owned by DFS Fliegerclub, which has also an Aquila 210 (D-ESXT) in its inventory.
Another Piper 28 seen in operation was Piper PA-28 Archer III D-EKAZ, photographed on take-off, while inactive Piper 28 „Warrior II“ D-ECCN is resting at the hangars. Both aircraft are owned by Hanseatischer Fliegerclub (HFC)
The first of more than 50.000 ever build Piper PA-28 Cherokees made its first flight in January 1960. The Cherokee series started with the two-seater PA-28-140, soon followed by the larger 4-seaters „Warrior“ and „Archer“. While the Warrior is powered by a 4-cylinder 160 PS Lycoming O320 piston engine with 5,2 liters displacement, the Archer is motivated by a 5,9 liters Lycoming O360 piston engine with 180 PS.
Cleveleand located manufacturer American Aircraft produced only 900 of its AA-5B „Cheetah“ between 1975 and 1979. All Cheetahs are powered by the same Lycoming O320 engine which is used in many single engined light aircraft as Cessna 172, Piper 28, Robinson, Mooney M20, Socata and many more. Accelerating N26292 made its first flight in 1977 and is now owned and operated by „Pilot and Flugzeug“ – magazine.
Below: originally designed by former French manufacturer Morane-Saulnier in 1958, the „Rallye“ -family started its career in 1961, when the MS.880 was introduced to the market. Seen on take-off OE-KPA MS-893E Rallye 180GT (cn 12989, mfd 1977) was also busy this afternoon at Egelsbach.
On final: Diamond DA-42 Twin Star D-GGWB of IFR-Flughschule from Reichelsheim and D-EAQS Aquila 210 of RM Flightcenter about to land at runway 09.
The twin-engined four-seater Diamond DA-42 is completely made of carbon composite material and was introduced in 2004.
Below: powered by a Rotax 912 piston engine with 99PS, with a length of 7,30m and a wingspan of 10,30m, the tiny two-seater Aquila 210 has an empty weight of only 500kg, the maximal take-off weight is about 750kg.
Larger aircraft can be found also at Egelsbach, so this Pilatus PC-12NG HB-FWG of Share Plane AG. This eleven-seater PC-12 was build in 2011 and is powered by a Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-67P turboprop engine.
Right: Transwing LTD of Switzerland operates HB-LNX, an eight-seater Piper PA-31 Cheyenne IIXL build in 1982, which is powered by two 620-shp Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-135 turboprop engines.
Below: Parked Cessna CitationJet 525 CJ1+ D-IOWA of Waldmann Lufttechnik with Pilatus PC-12 M-ARTY in the background and a larger private owned CitationJet 525 CJ2+ D-IFDN moving to its park position.
Embraer started its aircraft production in 1969 with the Emb 110 „Bandeirante“, followed by a license prduction of Piper aircraft during the 1970’s. Today the company has become to one of the world’s leading aircraft manufacturers with commercial airliners, corporate jets, and military aircraft in its portfolio.
Left: Embraer EMB-505 Phenom 300 D-CRCR was seen while its crew moved it to the holding point of runway 09.
Developed from the 1960’s De Havilland DH-125 (later Hawker Siddeley), the Hawker 800XP has less in common with its predecessor. NetJets Europe operates 34 examples of the eight-seater Hawker 750 and 800XP series. Pictured CS-DRW (sn 258829) joined the carrier in April 2007. In 2009 NetJets acquired 80 percent of the HFG (Hessische Flugplatz GmbH Egelsbach), becoming majority shareholder of the airport.
Photos below: later that afternoon, two special aircraft showed up: a Mudry CAP-231 F-GPPS aerobatic plane and a 72-years old Boeing AT-17 N54945. Both aircraft are private owned and very prominent on airshows.
Photos copyright Ralf Drews, Frankfurt Aviation Friends