Sixty years ago on 12.09.1960 with N90702 one of the first-ever build Douglas DC-6 made a fuel-stop at Frankfurt while on ferry from the United States to Jordan.
This aircraft – number four of the DC-6 production line – was one of ca 90 examples of that type operated by American Airlines between 1946 and 1958. Delivered to American as the carriers first DC-6 on 24.11.1946, American operated it until September 1960, when it was phased out and sold to Air Jordan.
Air Jordan operated it as JY-ACE until 13.09.1961 – then it was returned and handed over to International Airlines becoming N90702 again.
Between 1962 and July 1964 it was operated in Panama, before being sold to Germany, where it served with Südwestflug and later Germanair before retired and stored in October 1968.
This aircraft is preserved in Bad Laer, near Osnabrück.
N90702 was taken on 12.09.1960, during a fuel-stop at Frankfurt while on ferry from the United States to Jordan.
Photo Collection Ralf Drews