A gallery of b/w photos taken at Frankfurt between 1955 and 1962, when Frankfurt airport was dominated by propliners of Lockheed, Douglas or Viscount etc.

 

Search
G-AHLT B.O.A.C Canadair C4 Argonaut (ln 165) , FRA 1958
G-AHLT B.O.A.C Canadair C4 Argonaut (ln 165) , FRA 1958
G-ANBM Nigerian Airways Bristol 175 Britannia 102 (ln 12914), FRA Mar 1960
G-ANBM Nigerian Airways Bristol 175 Britannia 102 (ln 12914), FRA Mar 1960
D-BOBA Deutsche Flugdienst Convair 240 (ln 145), FRA 10/1957
D-BOBA Deutsche Flugdienst Convair 240 (ln 145), FRA 10/1957
OH-AWP Sabena Convair 240 (ln 153) FRA 1957
OH-AWP Sabena Convair 240 (ln 153) FRA 1957
D-BEPE Lufthansa Convair 240 (ln 79), FRA 06/1961
D-BEPE Lufthansa Convair 240 (ln 79), FRA 06/1961
OY-KLO  Scandinavian Airlines Douglas DC-6 "Cloudmaster" (ln 125) "Skjold Viking",FRA 1958
OY-KLO Scandinavian Airlines Douglas DC-6 "Cloudmaster" (ln 125) "Skjold Viking",
FRA 1958
DC-4 (ln 10506) "Clipper Stuttgart", FRA 1958
N88901 Pan American Douglas DC-4 (ln 10506) "Clipper Stuttgart", FRA 1958
N401US United States Oveseas Airlines Douglas DC-6A (sn 44677 / ln 527)
Created in 1946 for low-fare domestic operations, United States Overseas Airlines over the years operated DC-4, DC-6 / DC-7 and L.1049. On 16.09.1960 former Flying Tiger DC-6A (N34953, s/n 44677) was photographed in Frankfurt while waiting for its flight back to Idlewild. United States Oveseas Airlines ended its operations in 1964, N401US was active with different airlines until the mid-1990s, when it was retired and eventually scrapped after. Photo Collction Ralf Drews
N90702 Air Jordan Douglas DC-6B (sn 42855 / ln 4)
Some 90 DC-6 were operated by American Airlines between 1946 and 1958. Pictured N90702 (l/n 4) was delivered to American Airlines as the carriers first DC-6 on 24.11.1946 and was used until first until September 1960, when it was phased out and sold to Air Jordan. N90702 was taken on 12.09.1960, during a fuel-stop at Frankfurt while on ferry from the United States to Jordan. Air Jordan operated it as JY-ACE until 13.09.1961 - then it was returned and handed over to International Airlines becoming N90702 again. Between 1962 and July 1964 it was operated in Panama, before being sold to Germany, where it served with Südwestflug and later Germanair before retired and stored in October 1968. This aircraft is preserved in Bad Laer, near Osnabrück. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
HB-IMC Swissair Convair CV-440-11 Metropolitan (sn 332) "Appenzell"
Twelve CV-440 were ordered by Swissair, HB-IMC "Appenzell" was the second example of that type , when it joined the Swiss carrier on 26.06.1956. Between 1956 and 1966 Swissair used its Metropolitans on Eurepean routes from and to Zürich. All surviving CV-440 were retired from July 1966 on, when the type was replaced by the DC-9/15. The last CV-440 left the fleet in 1968. Of the initially twelve ordered CV-440, two examples were lost: on 15.07.1956 HB-IMD (sn 335) crashed on its ferry flight from San Diego to Zürich during approach at Shannon (all four crew mmbers were killed), while HB-IMF (sn 335) "Ticino" crashed in bad wetaher during departure into the "Läger"-mountains some 10 kilometers West of Zürich, all four crew member died. HB-IMC was taken at Frankfurt in Summer 1960. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
D-ABOC Lufthansa Boeing 707-430 (sn 17719 / ln 106)
Four years after Lufthansa ordered a batch of five Boeing 707 in April 1956, in March 1960 the first two of later five Rolls-Royce "Conway"-powered series 400 entered service. D-ABOC (sn 17719 / ln 106) was pictured in March 1960 while moving down the taxiway to the Runway 25 line-up for Frankfurt-Idlewild operation. In September 1960 the aircraft became named "Berlin"and was used by Lufthansa until December 1976, when it was withdrwan from use and sold. Scrapped by 1982 at Tripoli, Libya. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
HB-IBC Swissair Douglas DC-6B (sn 43547 / ln 204)
One year old HB-IBC Swissair Douglas DC-6B (sn 43547 / ln 204) on the ramp in summer 1959. Usually all aircraft of Swissair had names of cities or cantons (of Switzerland) applied, at HB-IBC it is not visible. Later it was named "Nidwalden" and was in service with Swissair until July 1961, when it was sold to Worl Airways as N45501. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
G-AHPR Maitland Drewery Vickers Viking 1B (sn 164)
Cargo version Vickers Viking 1B (sn 164) G-AHPR of Maitland Drewery on a rainy day in October 1960. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
D-ALER Lufthansa Lockheed L.1649 (sn 1041) Super Star
D-ALER Lufthansa Lockheed L.1649 (sn 1041) Super Star in October 1959. Lufthansa from 1957 on operated four examples of L.1649, before removing the type from service in 1964. After Lufthansa received the Boeing 707 from 1960 on, the L.1649 disappeared from its world routes. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
D-AFUS Deutscher Flugdienst Vickers Viking 1B (sn 250)
Deutscher Flugdienst (later Flugdienst) was founded as a charter carrier by Lufthansa, Deutsche Bundesbahn, Hapag and Norddeutscher Lloyd in late 1955 and existed until 1961. Soon after the new formed company received its first three Vickers Viking (ex BEA) in January and March 1956, first operation started in late March 1956. In January 1957 a former Continental Air Service Viking 1B (ex G-AJBR) joined the small company. D-AFUS Vickers 610 Viking 1B (sn 250, ex BEA G-AJBY) was taken in 1956 while after engine start-up. On 17.10.1958 this Viking ( re-registered as D-BELA in 1958) was written off after an ermegency landing in Belgium after engine failure. In 1961 Lufthansa merged Deutscher Flugdienst and Condor Luftreederei (Dr.Oetker Group) to Condor Flugdienst. Photo Collection Ralf Drews
D-ILES Beechcraft AT-11 Kansan (sn 6512)
On 23 November 1958 Aero Exploration received this former military Beechcraft AT-11 Kansan (ex 43-10438), but rework to civilian standards took until the end of 1959. Taken with Aero Exploration titles, but no registration at the maintenance area a few days after delivery flight. Collection Ralf Drews
« von 3 »